Monday, March 19, 2012

Chicken and olive crockpot stew

I have been cooking up a storm lately, i just haven't been posting about it.  Since that is sort of the whole point of a food blog i suppose i should start posting!

Last week i made something from my binder (my binder is a bunch of printed-out, scribbled-down, or torn-out pages of magazine recipe collection.  it is a mix of things i have made before and things i want to make) that was in my "want to make" section.  I modified it to fit our dietary needs right now but i have confidence that if i made it as originally directed it would still be fabulous and possibly even moreso!

You may have noticed i am on a crockpot kick lately?  Normally i do not break this thing out even once a year but i thought about all the times that i have been too lazy or stressed to cook a proper dinner and we've ended up with In N Out or Zpizza, or like ten days' worth of Big Chopsticks delivery.  So when i ordered a cookbook called The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook i was inspired to actually use my crockpot.  The funny thing is though that i while i have made maybe five things in my crockpot in the last month, none of it was a recipe from that book.  Someday, someday.

I don't even need to really post the recipe because here is what i did:  Sprayed the crockpot with nonstick spray.  Put several cut-in-half boneless skinless chicken breasts from my freezer in the bottom.  Dumped a regular sized can of fire roasted tomatoes (with garlic because i love extra garlic) on top.  Sprinkled onion powder, a teaspoon of ground cumin, a teaspoon of ground coriander, half a teaspoon of ancho chile powder, a little less than half a teaspoon of cayenne, some salt, and a few cloves of garlic-pressed garlic on top.  Then i dumped a drained jar of pimento stuffed manzanilla olives on top.  Covered the crockpot, set it on low, and checked back on it in 6 hours.  If you want the real recipe you can find it here. (Sunset Magazine)
I am not sure why this is sideways and I don't know how to fix it, but you can see this is a magazine page recipe from my binder.  It's originally known as Chicken, quinoa, and green-olive stew.  It even has a beer to pair with it.
I shredded it after it was cooked and the chicken sort of soaked up more of the tomato-olive juice.  This whole dish took me less than ten minutes to put together and it was excellent with cheddar cheese or manchego, and some sour cream, or just by itself.  It was the perfect amount of brininess and acidity and spice!

I also ended up making corned beef in the crockpot and while it came out fine i realized i don't like corned beef so now david has quite a bit to eat up.  I think i will make a hash for him with shredded brussel sprouts and onions or something because i feel bad he is just eating it straight up with mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment